Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sad Day

Peter died today. Peter was Aliya's first Beta fish that she got for her 5 yr birthday present. Niah took it really hard when it happened. Kiahna and Aliya didn't seem to be too upset UNTIL Daddy got home and wanted to take Peter out of his tank.

Niah asked if they could take Peter to the lake for his "burial". Then Aliya and Kiahna chimed in with the same request. Of course, he could not refuse. Even though they had their pajamas on and it was cold outside, they all went out to the lake and put Peter in the water.

I had already started reading the girls their bedtime books, so when they got back, we continued on with the reading. A minute or two later, I heard sniffling. I ask Aliya what was wrong, and she said that she was sad Peter was gone. She was really crying hard! I felt so bad! I don't think it really hit her until Peter was actually gone, out of his tank. It wasn't long before Kiahna started to cry, too.

The girls asked to sleep in the living room. I decided to go ahead and stop the bedtime stories (they weren't listening anyway) and help them get their beds ready in the living room.

They were still pretty upset when we tucked them in for bed, but Daddy's special prayer for Peter helped them to feel better.

TJ is going to take the girls to get a new fish tomorrow. Even though it is technically Aliya's fish, ALL the girls want to be involved.

Today is a sad day, but tomorrow will be a happy one because a new fish will be joining the family. We won't forget Peter...just like we haven't forgotten Martin or Alex. The girls still talk about them from time to time.

--Heidi

0 comments: