Friday, October 31, 2008

REAL Pumpkin Pie--I did it!!!

I knew that I was going to have to do something with the 8 pumpkins we had hanging around our kitchen table. Every fall festival activity we have done so far required that we take at least one pumpkin home with us. We are going to another pumpkin patch/corn maze on Monday, and we will probably be bringing home even more pumpkins!

So today, I started slicing and cooking up some of our pumpkins. I only made it to 6--I still have 2 left. I asked around here and there as to how I was suppossed to do this, and it seemed to be pretty simple. I choose the oven method vs. boiling, steaming, or microwaving. This was the longest method, but at least it gave me a break in between cooking times.

I pureed the first batch and made pumpkin pie. I just had a bite of it, and it's not too bad. I need to adjust the recipe a little bit more in the future to compensate for the difference in taste. I think I added too much ginger this time.

Overall, I am very proud of myself for doing something I have never done before. Aliya and Niah had a sample earlier, and they seemed to enjoy it.

I am not sure if I want to venture out into other pumpkin recipes right now. I think I will just stick with the pie--if I try muffins, breads, etc., I will probably get tired of pumpkin real quick, and THAT'S not a good idea right before Thanksgiving!

--Heidi

0 comments: