I know...I know
Yes...I know it's been a while since I have posted. I'm very sorry to disappoint any faithful readers out there (if there are any!), but I have been VERY busy!!! I have picked up several new things in the past few months, and they each have sucked up a lot of my "spare" time.
For one, I have been cloth diapering. It's now a common daily task, but initially it required a lot to get started. I had to make my own laundry detergent, I had to create and make my own cloth diapers, and then I have to keep up with the cloth diaper laundry (washing, drying, and then hanging them on an indoor clothes line to finish drying). While cloth diapering is a huge money saver, it is also a time stealer!
For second, I started milling my own flour earlier this year. It took a lot of research time (a.k.a. web-surfing and library book reading) to learn what I needed to learn to do this. Whole grains is a WHOLE new world with a whole new set of vocabulary words, instructions, information, etc. I am STILL working on this. I just found out today that in order to maximize the benefits of whole grains, I need to be soaking the grains/flours before cooking with them. THIS will be an ongoing project for me over the next several months.
For third, I have been trying to make my own sour dough. This is a TIME-CONSUMING project and one that is currently on a back burner for a little bit since my first batch was not successful. Supposedly, we should be eating only bread products made from sour dough starters because the yeast is naturally grown vs. just adding baker's yeast to our recipes. HOWEVER, baker's yeast is much more user friendly and QUICKER. Sour dough recipes take lots of planning and time-management skills because you need at least 12-24 hours in order to make the bread. It's much easier to mix the ingredients, add the baker's yeast, prepare the dough, and bake the bread within 2-3 hours. I have heard from people that make sour dough bread on a regular basis that it really isn't that difficult, but but it does take time to figure out how to work it into your daily routine--like setting it out the night before to use the next day, etc.
For fourth, I have picked up sewing again. I am currently making fleece sleeper sacks for Isaiah, Kiahna, and Aliya. It started out as a project just for Isaiah since he needs one to keep warm at night. I use the sleeper sack as a BLANKET--not as his actual pajamas. The girls saw me making them for Isaiah, and they (Kiahna and Aliya) both asked me if I could make one for them. I have made Kiahna's, and now I am working on Aliya's.
For fifth, I researched the process of making my own vanilla extract. It's not a quick process. The recommended brewing time is 3-6 months. Last week I ran out of my store-bought vanilla, so I tried mine. Overall it wasn't too bad, but I still think it needs to brew a little bit longer.
For sixth, I am continuing to make homemade and home-cooked meals. This always takes a lot of time. Several hours during the day gets assigned to food and meal prep. Example, if we are having pita pizzas for dinner, I have to take 1-2 hours to make the pitas first BEFORE I can use them to make the pizzas.
For seventh, I am still homeschooling. This takes a lot of my time during the day--lesson preparations, lesson teaching, supervising assignments, grading papers, etc. I am currently trying to simplify our school work so that I am not wasting time doing things that are not important.
For eighth, I am currently researching kefir. I am needing it for many of my future recipes, and also for as the acid medium for soaking grains.
For ninth, we started growing herbs several months ago. We have had minimal success. I lost some to under/over watering, but then I also think that I am just not getting enough natural lighting for them to grow properly. I am going to wait another month or two and try again. Spring is around the corner (hard to believe, I know!!!), and we should have plenty of sunlight then.
For tenth (last but not least), I have started clipping coupons and watching ads--especially produce ads. I have found some fabulous produce deals like 10 lemons for $0.99, 3 pound bag of white onions for $0.68, etc. I try to actually visit the store that is offering the promotion, but sometimes my grocery shopping has to happen late at night once the kids are in bed, which means most of those stores have closed already. While I am not a Wal-Mart fan, I do appreciate the 24-hour availability AND the price-matching option. This allows me to shop when I want/need AND I can still get the discounts. Clipping coupons and watching for deals takes a lot of time and effort. It's much easier to pay the extra buck and not worry about it. However, I have noticed the benefits in our budget. The pennies do add up--especially when I can buy the produce so cheaply. On one of my produce goldmine expeditions, I came across sweet potatoes for $0.10 per pound. I couldn't pass that deal up, so I ended up buying about 50-60 pounds!!! It only cost me 5-6 dollars, but I spent several hours every night for a week peeling, slicing, steaming, blanching, freezing them in single rows, and finally putting the frozen slices in freezer bags for future use. I used this same process for all the onions and green peppers I also bought on sale.
Needless-to-say, but TV time has gone out the window--I just don't have the time. The only show I really tried to watch was The Biggest Loser, and it was always a struggle. I finally gave up watching it on TV and just caught the replay via the internet. Then it got to where I was one week behind, then I was two weeks behind. I watched the Biggest Loser Finale 3 weeks after the original air date! I really do not miss watching TV. I am much more productive without it.
At some point I am going to have to stop and introduce myself to MYSELF because I hardly recognize ME any more. I never thought I would actually turn into Little House on the Prairie!!! I used to declare growing up that I wanted to be Amish and live on a farm with horses and buggies. I did, however, put in the stipulation that I would like to keep modern plumbing and under garments. Now, I have added another one--washing machines and air conditioners!!!
So, to all my faithful readers (yes, all 2 of you!!!).....I AM STILL HERE, and I will try to update a little more often. In the meantime, it might help if you find something more productive in your own lives so that you aren't depending on my blog to entertain you!!! Just kidding! (maybe)
1 comments:
This just makes me tired. Maintaining the house (and barely at that), is all I can manage at the moment.
Post a Comment