Thursday, May 7, 2009

Wheat Treats

For some time now, I have wanted to get a wheat mill so that I could grind our own wheat to use in baking, etc. Wheat tastes SOOOO much better when it's fresh. Not only that, there are HUGE health benefits from freshly milled wheat flour. Once milled, wheat flour will be rancid within 24 hours. In order for wheat flour to be available in the grocery stores, the oil, germ, bran, and middlings have to be removed--all that is left is a little extra fiber. Not really worth it to me because it tastes awful when you bake with it. However, fresh milled wheat is very similar to white flour, and it doesn't have a bitter aftertaste.

With all that said, I bought 15 cups of fresh milled wheat today from a lady who has a wheat mill. I came home immediately and started baking. I--actually the girls helped, too--baked 4 loaves of bread, carrot cake muffins, and homemade tortillas. The tortillas were pretty delicious, as were the muffins. TJ was pretty impressed with the bread. He said it didn't taste any different than the other white flour bread that I've made before. THIS IS HUGE!!! I am so excited because this is a BIG step toward being a little bit more healthier.

I am going to get some more wheat flour (maybe on Saturday?), and I will try other "delicate" baking items like chocolate chip cookies, white cake, and maybe even a chocolate cake.

Does anyone want to stop by for samples?!!!

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Sounds yummy!! I look forward to hearing about how the cookies and cakes turn out! ;~)

I wish that I could come by~

Jen said...

I would love to come by for a sample. How about next Saturday. LOL