School...a New Glance
I haven't completely finished processing through my recent vacation yet, but I've gotten a start. One of the large topics to process will be credited to my sister Betsy. Although she was not the one to originate the topic, she is the one who is credited with "the last straw that broke the camel's back". Many of you don't know (because I never really talked about it except with TJ and a few "experts") that off and on over the past few years, we have talked about homeschooling our children. I personally have favored the idea because of the positive influence that homeschooling had on my early elementary education. In the past we considered trying to incorporate homeschooling efforts into our working lives, but thought it best at that time that Niah go to private school. I thought it might be too much to try and work, plus teach as well. One of my coworkers at the Eye Institute taught her daughters at home and also worked part time. This person is the one who opened my eyes to consider homeschooling even while working.
As the years began to approach for Aliya to start school, we knew we would have to adjust our current schooling arrangement to fit our ever-changing lifestyle. This has led to the reconsideration of the homeschooling option. While in Arkansas, this topic emerged with encouragement and a fresh perspective. This time when considering the details, they seemed to fit very nicely into our current lifestyle. It seemed that all the missing puzzle pieces from past considerations have finally found their right place. This option now seems perfect for our family and for the goals that we have as a family unit. How exciting! I will have to stay focused on these aspects in the days to come, because I know the choice we have made may not necessarily be the choice others would have picked for us. Because I have personal experience in this area, I am less likely to receive the stereotyped concerns from those around me. I know that many of the common objections apply to only a small portion of the homeschooling community.
Even though I am a person who would venture into the unknown even if no one else would, I don't have to in this situation. I am surrounded by people who are choosing homeschooling for their children. It's an instant support group! So for now, I am combing through the internet and finding where I fit in. I am having to decide what curriculum to choose and what method (books, DVD, online, etc) will work best. I already know that the choices will be different for each of my children. That's what I like about homeschooling--you can teach the child in the way they love to learn. I will post updates in the days to come.
As the years began to approach for Aliya to start school, we knew we would have to adjust our current schooling arrangement to fit our ever-changing lifestyle. This has led to the reconsideration of the homeschooling option. While in Arkansas, this topic emerged with encouragement and a fresh perspective. This time when considering the details, they seemed to fit very nicely into our current lifestyle. It seemed that all the missing puzzle pieces from past considerations have finally found their right place. This option now seems perfect for our family and for the goals that we have as a family unit. How exciting! I will have to stay focused on these aspects in the days to come, because I know the choice we have made may not necessarily be the choice others would have picked for us. Because I have personal experience in this area, I am less likely to receive the stereotyped concerns from those around me. I know that many of the common objections apply to only a small portion of the homeschooling community.
Even though I am a person who would venture into the unknown even if no one else would, I don't have to in this situation. I am surrounded by people who are choosing homeschooling for their children. It's an instant support group! So for now, I am combing through the internet and finding where I fit in. I am having to decide what curriculum to choose and what method (books, DVD, online, etc) will work best. I already know that the choices will be different for each of my children. That's what I like about homeschooling--you can teach the child in the way they love to learn. I will post updates in the days to come.
--Heidi
0 comments:
Post a Comment