Sunday, June 7, 2009

Skating...Fun Until the Bumps Show Up

Saturday night I took the girls roller skating for Niah's birthday celebration -- this was the last part we had promised her that still needed to be done. That's it, Niah...now we can move on to Kiahna's birthday!

Niah has been roller skating a few times before, and I knew she would be skating around like a pro. I even saw her try a few tricks!

Aliya was really excited to go roller skating, but this was her first time on the rink. She tried ice skating when she was 3, but she got to use the ice walker. She may not have had the help of a walker, but she had the help of a very nice skate staff member. He gave her a few pointers and helped her around the rink a few times. By the end of the night, she was doing pretty good.

Kiahna...well, I didn't think she would skate at all. At first she just wanted to hang around and "take care of Isaiah". After about an hour, she told me that she wanted to skate. I wasn't sure I was hearing her right, so I had her repeat it. She was pretty insistent that she really did want to try it. I got her some skates and helped her put them on. She did pretty good on the carpet, and she wanted to try the rink. I knew she wouldn't be able to do that by herself quite yet, so Niah and her friend took her around the rink.

Kiahna was SOOOOO happy! She was skating, AND she wasn't falling down! She was so proud of herself, and I was really proud of her for trying something new!

I told the girls that we will do this again soon. On Thursday evenings they have training classes followed by free skate. I'm thinking about having them do that. We finally had to leave because the bumps and bruises were starting to show up and ruin the fun. Maybe the class will help prevent some of that in the future.

I can't say enough how proud I am of my skaters!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHoa! I am so proud of them! They are adventurous! ahha those days. Aunty Jessica