Thursday, May 10, 2007

Survival of Day One

Kiahna and I have made it passed the first day--the first day of no more milk from Mama. I did not plan on stopping yesterday, but it just happened.

I had an appointment yesterday afternoon, so I dropped off Aliya and Kiahna at Mimi's house. When I went to pick her up, I was told that she did just fine. We played at the house for about an hour before Kiahna started asking for "mama's milk". Since she had gone all that time without needing to nurse, I decided that she could just keep on going. I told her that it was "all gone". She fussed for a minute, but then settled down after I gave her some water in a cup. She would fuss from time to time, and I just kept telling her "all gone" and gave her some water in a cup.

Last night when she went to bed, she fussed for a while before going to sleep. After about an hour, she woke back up screaming and crying. I got her up and tried to give her milk in a sippy cup, but she wouldn't have any of it. Finally, after about an hour of being up, she grabbed her blanket and a small book and walked into her room. I asked her if she was ready to go to bed, and she shook her head "yes". I laid her in bed and did not hear from her again until 7:45 am this morning.

This morning was a little more difficult, but we managed. By this afternoon, she seemed to be adapting well. When she gets cranky or fussy about not getting to nurse, I just give her water or a small snack--that works for a while. I know that once she stops remember about nursing, I will have to teach her that in real life we don't get snacks all day--unless of course, you are the Mom!

--Heidi

0 comments: